Friday, February 10, 2012

Well, as I write this, I am officially 11 months into my Sisterlocks journey.  I can honestly say that this has been a humbling, eye-opening, exciting and educational experience.  If I were to answer any questions concerning regrets, I would have to say that I have but one: that I had not done this sooner - like YEARS AGO!  The fact is I wouldn't have been ready years ago.  Unfortunately, I did not have the full appreciation of black hair, of my hair, or the maturity and self-confidence to handle, embrace and truly love dreadlocks - Sisterlocks.

My parents were always culturally aware, socio-political folks.  My dad, in particular, always advocated natural hair, and our mom, while no stranger to the straight comb, NEVER wanted either sister or myself to put chemicals in our hair.  Speaking for myself, I was the victim of low self-esteem, and like most teens, wanted to fit-in.  Although both my sister and I donned afros for a stint during the 70's, between pop-cultural and peer pressure to conform, my poor hair never stood a chance.

Anyway, the good news is that I grew up, and decided I wanted something different for myself, my hair and my health.

Here are a few headshots of my Sisterlocks at 10 months into my journey!









No comments:

Post a Comment